Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Design Evaluation! Movie Posters

 MOVIE POSTERS: PRINT

I was looking for something different to do with this assignment and I decided to go the route of movie posters. Movie posters are wonderful because they give an idea of what a movie is about because of the use of an image.

A pretty bad design that I saw was Hope Springs. As you look at the poster you don't know what exactly what the movie is about unless you read the title of the book Meryl Streep is holding. Also, it doesn't make much sense as to why she is in a book store if she is wanting to strengthen her marriage. The book store has nothing to do with the movie. There is the use of the rule of thirds, but still doesn't really help you in determining what is actually going on in the poster.


The next poster I noticed that was actually really well done 
was the movie The Amazing Spiderman. A few things that I noticed
first was the simplicity of the poster. It just has an all around feel of awesome basically. There is symmetrical balance, and the contrast with the light and dark areas of the poster kind of give that essence of 
Spiderman. The lighting also defines the wall and gives it the texture of roughness, as well as we have a vertical line showing the height and the excitement you can get while watching the movie The Amazing Spiderman. Something that I noticed a little later on was our eye goes to the human form first because we are prioritizing our perception and then our eyes moves to similarity of the shadows, but then we realize that it is a shadow of a spider rather than the human form. This could also apply in the opposite way where our eyes go first to the object which is the shadow and then the human form. Either way it works really well with the concept of this poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment